So I recently just made this recipe for my family over the weekend and it was hands down one of the best things I’ve had for brunch. The dish is almond pesto on top of sunflower seed bread with smoked salmon, arugula, and a poached egg. Honestly, so good. I’m not a huge fan of bread but I found this brand that is organic and made with sunflower seeds (here). The almond pesto is homemade so you know exactly what you’re eating as opposed to buying in store.
See the recipe down below:
Ingredients: (one serving)
1-2 pieces of smoked salmon
1 slice of bread
1 handful arugula
1 tsp white wine vinegar
sea salt (for topping)
3/4 cup almonds
1 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove
2 bunches of basil
1 lemon (zest and juice)
1.5 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp honey
Instructions for almond pesto:
1. Put all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse blend it. Don’t worry if the pesto isn’t liquid, it’s not supposed to be. Seal in a container and keep refrigerated.
Instructions for everything else:
1. In a medium saucepan fill it 3/4 the way with water. Bring to a boil and once you see bubble reduce to medium-low heat.
2. While the water is heating up spread 2 tablespoons of almond pesto on your bread. Top that with one or two pieces of smoked salmon and a handful of arugula.
2. Once the water is set add the tablespoon of white wine vinegar. Crack the egg into a cup. Swirl the water so it has a whirlpool in the middle of the pan. You don’t want the water to be bubbling, if it is, turn it down to a lower heat setting.
3. Slip the egg in and use your spoon to try and coat the whites around the yolk. Cook for 2 1/2 minutes, but keep your eye on it.
4. Once the timer goes off drain and egg and put it on top of your arugula. Grab a fork and knife and got eat!